Thursday, July 4, 2013

Certainty. This guy has it.

I have a list of people that either have been substantially influential in my life by giving knowlege, succor or clarity or are extraordinarily representative of my views on any given subject. It's not huge, but I like to pull it out and check it every now and then...if only to keep it current given the evolution of myself as a person.

Years ago I was fortunate enough to have a friend introduce me to a source of the aforementioned clarity. Everyone...EVERYONE...should see first hand but I'll attempt to reproduce the effect here, albeit in unfortunate austere fashion.

I share one of those with you, the reader, taken from John Hurt's standout role as the man with the incredibly bold hat sensibility in "Englishman in New York", gay icon Quentin Crisp. 

To paraphrase my favorite comedic supplier of current events, "Here it is, a moment of Zen". 
"Persistence is your greatest weapon.  It is in the nature of barriers that they fall.  Do not seek to become like your opponents.  You have the burden and the great joy of being outsiders.  Every day you live is a kind of triumph.  This you should cling on to.  You should make no effort to try and join society.  Stay right where you are.  Give your name and serial number and wait for society to form itself around you, because it most certainly will.  

Neither look forward where there is doubt or backward where there is regret.  Look inward and ask not if there is anything outside that you want, but rather if there is anything inside that you have not unpacked."

No comments: